Home Technology Chipmakers begin building a plant in France

Chipmakers begin building a plant in France

0
Chipmakers begin building a plant in France

France to fund GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics joint chip manufacturing project (Photo: CC0 Public Domain)

Two of the largest companies in the semiconductor industry, GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics, are moving forward with a chip joint venture project in France.

Less than a year ago, GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics officially confirmed their intention to build a joint venture to manufacture semiconductor components in France. It was only recently that all the necessary approvals were completed, opening the way for construction.

58% of the shares in the capital of the enterprise belong to the American company GlobalFoundries, whose oldest plants are located in neighboring Germany, and the remaining 42% of the shares are owned by STMicroelectronics, SeekingAlpha reported.

The plant will be located on the territory of the already existing STMicroelectronics site near the Italian and Swiss borders. The French authorities are ready to provide targeted financial support for the project, in agreement with the European Commission.

The capital investments required for the implementation of the project are also known. They will reach 7.5 billion euros, together with the related costs.

Already in 2026, the new plant will be able to produce up to 620 thousand 300-mm silicon wafers per year, using various lithographic standards up to 18 nm. The management of STMicroelectronics is convinced that this project will increase the annual revenue of the company to 20 billion dollars.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here