Recently, a new and interesting message has been shared that is indirectly related to Nintendo. We are talking in this case of novelties focused PlatinumGames.
Specifically, it is about details of his signing of the former director of the Great N: Takao Yamane, who will now be the new vice president of PlatinumGames. Now, thanks to Ishaan, we have been able to learn details about why he left Nintendo and more.
We leave you with the translated information:
Why Takao Yamane left Nintendo:
• Yamane left Nintendo after 27 years to become Vice President of Platinum Games.
• He had just turned 50 and wanted to accept a new challenge in his life
• While thinking about whether to stay at Nintendo, Inaba proposed working together in 2021
• Kamiya didn’t know Yamane, but Inaba has known him since 2006
• Yamane felt that Platinum needed him more than Nintendo, so he joined
• Yamane adds that his departure from Nintendo was peaceful
What Yamane will do at PlatinumGames:
• Platinum has no experience in the publishing business and they needed someone with those qualifications.
• Yamane is now in charge of the publishing side of the business
• Inaba and Kamiya will continue to lead the development side
• Kamiya will now be involved in more company projects as lead game designer
• Inaba jokes that he hopes Yamane and Kamiya will have a run-in in the future
• Yamane clarifies that the development side will always have priority
• That’s why, for example, if Kamiya asks for a six-month delay for something, Yamane is willing to be flexible
• This is how Yamane was already used to operating at Nintendo, and he can tell when a game needs more time
Yamane’s PlatinumGames impression:
• He jokes about how the air conditioning is very low and the studio is freezing.
• He also jokes about how Kamiya and Inaba scare their subordinates much more than he expected.
• Kamiya in particular has a tendency to be very direct and highlighted his feedback
• Kamiya jokes that Inaba is no different
• Kamiya also says that because people hold him in such high esteem as an industry veteran, he tries to be as practical as possible and express his thoughts simply.
What kind of game is Project GG
• A central concept (such as Unite Morph or Witch Time) is hinted at in the Project GG trailer
• Project GG is a large-scale project driven by the vision of Kamiya and Inaba along with the ambition/goals of PlatinumGames
• Inaba told Kamiya that this would be the kind of game that PlatinumGames would make from now on
• As a result, Project GG won’t just be an all-out action game
• Platinum’s equity partnership with Tencent is helping Project GG realize its ambitions
• Project GG will be a self-published title, and it was one of the reasons Yamane joined
• Yamane sees potential in Project GG and feels it is a top-tier product
• Project GG will be released both physically and digitally worldwide
• Yamane hints that we will see more in June of next year (2023) in Los Angeles
• They haven’t decided if it will be at E3 or Summer Game Fest and adIn addition to Project GG, Platinum is preparing another internal IP
PlatinumGames development business (for other publishers):
• On the development side of the PG business, there are “several unannounced titles”
• Some of these have just started and others are in the final stages of production
• Announcements will be made by their respective publishers whenever they are ready
PlatinumGames Expansion Goals:
• All the projects mentioned above are large in scale, so Platinum sees them as something personal
• As a result, they want to hire up to 500 employees in the short or medium term
• The ultimate long-term goal is to have more than 1,000 employees
• At the moment, Platinum is only in Osaka and Tokyo, but Inaba would also like to expand to Hakata and Sapporo at some point in the future.
• Kamiya says that Inaba has big ambitions in mind for Platinum and that they would definitely need 1,000 employees eventually
• Kamiya and Inaba have meetings every week, where many different ideas are discussed or proposed.
• If Platinum had more staff, they could actually experiment with these ideas more often
• The studio also continues to hire for sales and marketing positions
PlatinumGames relationship with Tencent:
• The two companies formed a capital alliance in 2020
• Tencent’s policy is to invest in companies but not to govern them
• Tencent doesn’t comment on Platinum games, all they do is keep the studio abreast of trends they see
What did you think of the news? You can share it in the comments.